Artificial intelligence is actively used in search engines, which makes it possible to complicate them and provide more accurate results at the request of users. AI itself is the ability of a computer to learn, make decisions, and perform various actions. The term “artificial intelligence” was first coined in 1956 by John McCartney. He argued that it is vague, because it is difficult to say exactly which computational procedures can be called intelligence. One of the tasks of AI was, in the course of self- learning, to create programs (primarily heuristic) for solving problems of a certain complexity class and to solve them.
Types of artificial intelligence
The main difference between artificial intelligence and algorithms that affect search results is that the algorithms are constantly changing. They are written by programmers using programming languages. That is, the robot can only act within certain limits, which were determined by experts. Artificial intelligence can work outside the framework of the algorithm and “think out” scenarios on its own. Scientists distinguish 4 types of AI:
- Reactive. It is tailored to perform certain tasks. Memories are not formed, and previous experiences are not applied.
- Limited memory, which is based on experience, but it does not compile into the information library.
- Theory of mind. It uses social intelligence to understand human emotions and intentions.
- Self-awareness. The machine forms an opinion about itself and can almost completely imitate human intelligence.
Benefits of AI
Specialists have managed to make significant progress over the past few years in the development of artificial intelligence, teaching computer self-awareness. This allows the use of AI in many areas, not only in IT. Here are some of its benefits:
- Lack of human factor. Machines calculate the results in advance using algorithms and previous experience, which allows one to get the best result and minimize the likelihood of errors.
- Round-the-clock availability. The AI does not require a break for lunch or sleep, it stably works 24/7. So, Google has a solution in the form of a contact center using artificial intelligence. At Amazon, the robot can help customers in chat mode.
- Quick decision-making. The robot quickly calculates the optimal result from thousands of combinations, giving a solution. This greatly increases the speed of work, which is also important within search engines.
However, there are several disadvantages of using artificial intelligence. So, the cost of this technology is very high. Robots have no morality, so they can help with certain tasks, but will not be ethical.
Thanks to AI, it will be possible to improve the quality of content, as webmasters will focus on people, and not on robots in writing articles. This means that SEO-optimized portals may lose their positions in the near future. This happened in 2021 when many sites lost their positions on the Internet, but articles that focused on good content with reliable material appeared at the TOP. That is, it is not necessary to spend a lot of money on SEO anymore, it is important to continue ordering links, posting great content, and keeping up with new information about AI updates by leading search engines.
Artificial intelligence will continue to develop, including in search engines. Most likely, other search engines will also begin to develop their own artificial intelligence, which will be used for their project.